Sunday 26 October 2008

Collecting the kit







IT’S ON!
I am now the proud owner of numerous piles of bits; sufficient to make a car! It all came about on the 24th October 2008, a wet and windy day and I had hired a “big” LWB van from 1van1. We (my girlfriend Helen and I) set off, slightly later than planned, for the trip up to MNR’s premises up near Harrogate arriving at about 3 pm. After stretching the legs we went to see my chassis and a big pile of parts, had a swift cuppa and a chat with Chris. Before loading the van could begin Chris went through all the parts, identifying any missing bits that would need to follow on. This was very useful and there were only a couple of bits still waiting for delivered from the suppliers.

With some additional help we then set to and loaded the van, using copious amounts of bubble wrap and cardboard to protect my baby during transit. The weight of the chassis was more than I had expected as the engine had already been mounted (in its contrasting Rossi blue cradle). I settled up with Chris and we hit the road, huge grin on my face.

The homeward trip was just as wet and windy as when coming up and the thought of having my little car in the back of the van made for some “interesting” moments on the A1… well paranoia! I had arranged to hook up with my brother at Blyth services (about half way between Newcastle and Saffron Walden) as he was coming down to help with the unloading. Whilst having a chat I said “my cars in the back of the van” it seemed like a reasonable thing to say to me, he found it amusing. I then proceeded to show him that I did in fact have a car in the van. We set off and got to my place at 8ish and began unpacking all the boxes, pipes and parts. As mentioned earlier the chassis was heavier than expected, fortunately my neighbour was in and got press ganged into helping move it into its new home.

The rest of the evening was like some sort of uber Christmas; breaking into boxes to see what was where. Had a go sitting in the GRP shell seats with the steering wheel making warp warp noises (it is a BEC after all). Also sat in the chassis for the first time, again had to make some “driving” noises.

What next…. Well the build can start! I had been waiting to get the kit before buying lots of tools and sundry items. Now I’ve had a nose through all the boxes and got parts to hand, I can see what needs getting. I keep getting hit by waves of sheer excitement followed by “what on earth do I think I’m doing?” The plan is to break the build into many, many small tasks.

Small tasks are also a good idea, as I’m currently writing-up my PhD Thesis, the bit I’d dreaded from the start 3 years ago. So I’ll be doing something useful (writing) and then something “fun” (building the car).

The first job is to fit the foot well bulkheads and break lines then master cylinders. I’ll have to order a selection of rivnuts for this.

No comments: